Follow up email after interview: A brief introduction
Handwritten or emailed, an interview follow up email or a thank you letter is one of the best ways you have to get ahead of the competition.
The topic “follow up email after interview” raises a lot of questions and doubts and it is our goal to answer all of them completely.
We’ll make sure that when you finish our guide, you’ll have the best possible letter on your hands.
It not only helps to set you apart from the others and get you on the interviewer’s mind but it is a huge opportunity to further develop your presentation or even to recover from some points where you feel like you didn’t deliver your best.
It is an incredibly powerful tool that can decide if you get the job or not, the final touch to tip the scale in your favor.
Due to its direct approach and impactful nature, an interview follow up email has to be very well done or it can end up doing more harm than good.
That’s where we come in.
We are here to guide you through every detail of the writing process and to share our expertise with you so you can be able to craft the perfect interview follow up email or letter and get what you want – the job.
“Follow up email after interview”
The 7 Basic Rules To Remember:
- Send the note within 2 days after the interview, although even if you pass that mark it’s always better to send it late than never.
- Always write the subject line.
- Keep the writing style professional and clean.
- Make it short and sweet. Overwriting and stuffing the note with useless or weak information is a surefire way to get ignored.
- Show off your personality. Add character to your text that defines some of your qualities. Being generic and robotic will make the interviewer lose interest quickly and discard your note.
- Show confidence. Be polite and do not be too pushy or desperate.
- Always thank the interviewer at the end.
Now that you know the basics, it’s time to get started.
Your first step is checking out our interview follow up email sample to read a finished and professionally made follow up email, so you can see how it should look like.
We’ve also been working on a new section which serves to teach you about finer details and subtle changes that you can and should apply to your finished letter to really step it up in terms of quality and elevate it to perfection. It will be the last step of this guide, the cherry on top. Make sure to read it.
By popular demand, we now have a brand new article about how to write a follow up email if you haven’t gotten a response from your first one (we promise that if you follow this guide it won’t happen in the first place).
We sincerely hope that our guides will help you achieve success and lead you to the professional life you want.
Leave your questions below and we’ll do our best to answer them all and to clear any doubts you have. Thank you!